Table of Contents
- What Is A Toner, Why Should Men Use It As Well?
- Your Skin Type – Does It Matter?
- Best Facial Toner For Men – Top 5 Product Reviews For 2018
Men, in general, fail to appreciate the importance of using a toner on their face as a means of topping off their skincare routine.
Of course, walking up to a shelf filled with various skin products, lotions, creams, scrubs, masks, and toners might feel a bit overwhelming at first. But this is why we are here, to help you pick the best men’s toner for your face and eliminate all the doubt.
Not only that, we want to talk more about the toner itself, why is it so important to use it, what is its role in helping you maintain a healthy face and complexion, and what is the best brand you should use, with regards to your skin type.
What Is A Toner, Why Should Men Use It As Well?
Contrary to popular belief, the toner is not explicitly reserved for women, men can and should use it as well!
Toner is a water-based liquid composed of active ingredients designed to address various skin types/problems/conditions. There are three main types of toners:
- Hydrating toners – hydrating tonic for men is the mildest of the three. It contains little (if any alcohol), and other compounds designed to hydrate your skin and prevent the water from evaporating from the upper layer of the skin. They are suited for individuals with dry, sensitive, and normal skin because they reduce the possibility of irritation.
- Mild Tonics – mild skin tonics contain alcohol in a larger percentage (usually no more than 20%). So this toner is a bit “stronger” and is suited for people with normal and combination skins.
- Astringents – astringent is the strongest of the three as it contains the highest portion of alcohol (up to 60%). They are specifically designed for people with oily skin.
It is important to note that alcohol in itself is not bad for our skin, it helps us rid excess oil and fights off bacteria, but the percentage is important. If you have sensitive skin, you should steer clear of astringents.
Benefits Of Using A Toner
As we mentioned earlier, toner is a great product to complete your skincare regime – cleanse and hydrate your skin.
Some of the main benefits of using a toner for men are:
- Skin cleansing – a good toner will help you remove dust, pollution, and various other impurities off your skin. Not only that, the main reason we like to use it is that it will cleanse even that thin film that is left behind by other skincare products you’ve used prior to it.
- Skin hydration – toner will also soothe your skin, hydrate it, calm and make it look more vibrant and healthy.
- Irritation and acne – besides cleansing, a toner will prevent these small bumps (we usually get after shaving) and, in combination with other products, may help you control acne breakouts.
- Opening our pores – by removing debris, grime, and dirt a toner will open up and “flush” the impurities out of our pores.
How Should We Use It – Four-Step Routine
Using a skin toner is fairly simple, but you should use it as a part of a skincare routine, rather than using it separately, on its own.
Step one: you should start your cleansing routine with a face wash/cleanser specially designed for men.
Step two: splashing your face with water. Now, some myths are surrounding the use of hot and cold water on your face. The most prevailing one is that washing your face with hot water will open up your pores, while cold water will close them.
This is, of course, not true. That being said, you should use lukewarm water as it will feel good on your skin. After you’ve splashed your face, you should pat it dry with a clean towel.
Step three: now that your skin is nice and dry, you can move on to using a toner. Saturate a cotton pad and gently use it on your face (and neck) to scrub off all the excess residue left by your cleansing products.
Step four: top it off with a moisturizer of your choice. We’ve talked about moisturizers in one of our previous articles, so feel free to take a look here – “Skincare In Your 20s, 30s, 40s and In Elderly”.
Can A Toner Prevent Shaving Irritation?
I’m sure very few of you even thought about using a toner instead or alongside with an aftershave, but it can make a quite a difference.
Our most common complaints, when it comes to shaving, are irritation, rash, redness, bumps, and acne breakouts. But, applying a toner will help you minimize these problems (as shaving is stressful to our skin we can never entirely eliminate a certain amount of irritation).
Now, the choice is yours whether you intend to use a toner in combination with an aftershave. We advise our readers to generally steer clear of aftershaves as some of them are nothing more than alcohol, water, and fragrance. You should instead choose a toner with alcohol, which contains other beneficial, hydrating ingredients as well.
DIY Skin Toner
If you are not keen on buying a toner, you can surely make one yourself. Making a toner yourself is not a complicated process, but you do need to pay attention to store it properly.
One of our favorite low-cost toner solutions is apple cider vinegar. We love recommending apple cider vinegar as it will remove excess oils, balance the natural pH of your facial skin, exfoliate and help keep your pores open.
Before applying it to your face, though, you should dilute it. A general rule of thumb is to mix apple cider vinegar with distilled water 3 to 1. Meaning, for every 1 cup of vinegar, you should add 3 cups of water.
Your Skin Type – Does It Matter?
From what you’ve read so far, you probably concluded this yourself, but yes, yes it does. And this is why you should choose products designed for your skin type, especially if you have sensitive skin.
Of course, having sensitive skin should not be used as an excuse not to use a toner, quite the opposite. Same goes for oily skin; you might be tempted to go overboard and use toners excessively which is also not a very good idea.
Sensitive skin is the most problematic of the three. Some individuals may have such dry, sensitive skin they are afraid to use any products on it. If you are one of these individuals, our advice would be to see a dermatologist.
That being said, you should keep an open mind as a toner might aid your skin renewal capabilities, making your skin healthier and appearing more vibrant.
A toner can also help your skin deal with a moisturizer – absorb it quicker and more efficiently.
Combination skin is not problematic in itself; it is just tricky to deal with since you have patches that are dry and those that are excessively oily. The most affected area here is the so-called T-zone – forehead, nose, and chin.
But this is precisely the situation where a good toner will shine and help you balance your skin out. It will help hydrate those dry patches while scrubbing the oil off of other and help you clear out those irregularities off your skin.
Just make sure you use mild products, with low alcohol content to avoid irritation.
Best Facial Toner For Men – Top 5 Product Reviews For 2018
At the end of the day, you know your skin best. And choosing a toner for men will depend on just that. This is why we advise first to ask yourself what would you like to gain from using a toner – is it a smoother skin, fewer acne breakouts, healthier complexion…
After you’ve successfully answered some of these questions, it is time to move on to the final chapter of today’s article – our list of the best facial toners for men!
Our Top Pick – Bloom Skin Facial Toner For Men
This is a natural mens face toner specifically designed for individuals with problematic skin (though it is suitable for all skin types). It uses high-quality ingredients, and it is manufactured in Wisconsin USA.
The product is alcohol-free, with witch hazel and lemon essential oil. It will balance out the pH of your skin, refine the texture of your skin, hydrate it, and even help clear up those tiny blemishes (after you shave).
Some users also reported their pores becoming tighter and less visible.
For those of you that are still not convinced, this manufacturer also offers an impressive money back guarantee. If you are in any way, unsatisfied with the product, you can get a full refund.
>>> Click Here To Buy It <<<
For Problematic Oily Skin – Facial Astringent by LAVO
- Glycolic acid – some call it the “holy grail” of exfoliating as it is so effective in scrubbing the dead cells off the skin, but it will also help with scar treatment, battle against skin discoloration and signs of aging.
- Aloe vera and marigold – extracts from these plants are perfect for calming down skin irritation, hydrating it and making it smooth.
- Vitamin C – vitamin C provides a whole range of benefits. Some of which are boosting collagen production, protecting skin from sun damage, improving hydration, and overall keeping your skin looking younger.
- Alcohol – this product contains something known as SD Alcohol 40B. This is denatured alcohol, not meant for drinking but can be used as an ingredient in the cosmetic industry.
>>> Click Here To Buy It On Amazon <<<
Organic Rose Water Toner
There are no chemicals, no preservatives, and no artificial fragrances in this product. So, why did we list it as #3 instead of #1? Well, this product is predominantly used by women. Even though we are talking about best toners for MEN today, we felt the need to include this one as well, only because it is 100% organic.
As for the ingredients, this product ONLY contains rose flower water. The manufacturer explains it is because other components might trigger Rosacea. So, this toner is 100% safe to use, and will not cause breakouts.
For this reason, you can even buy it for your kids who are just starting out with their skincare routines.
>>> For More Info Click Here <<<
Weleda Refining Toner
Weleda toner will efficiently remove any residue and impurities other skincare products have left behind. It will also help prepare your skin for the following products, allowing them to be absorbed better and faster.
It will leave your skin clean and tight; some individuals even report a more refined skin texture and reduced appearance of skin pores.
This product is more suitable for people with oily skin as it contains alcohol.
>>> Here You Can Buy It <<<
This product is advertised as alcohol-free formulation, designed to give you that deep sense of cleaning without your skin feeling too tight or dry. The product will also help you combat acne breakouts and keep your skin hydrated.
To use it, you can just pour it onto the cotton pad (as it does not have a sprayer like the rest) and gently wipe your face in an upward motion.
>>> Click Here To Buy <<<